Skip to main content

Intro



It was at a friend's wedding where an idea for creating a blog finally clicked. Coming back from the reception, I sat behind my friend (the groom's) parents who were of the baby boomer generation. We went back in forth with pleasantries after being tired and buzzed from an exciting evening. At some point the conversations steered into politics and by the end, maybe in order to get me to shut up, they said it would be good for me to get my ideas down in a blog. It seemed like a good idea.

At least from what I've seen, this is the most dysfunctional period our in our country that I have at experienced (26 years of life isn't that significantly long I concede). There is the continuous barrage of issues that we hear of: unemployment, recessions, climate change, crime (in many areas) the environment and energy policy, health care, etc. Right now, we are all affected by so many of these things and they are real and extemely painful at a personal level and hugely damaging from a societal perspective. I have my personal beliefs of certain problems being more salient than others, but I know that I cannot legitimately rank these issues in terms of how much of a crisis they pose with validity.

What I do believe, and feel strongly about is that underneath many of these problems is the general degradation and fragmentation of our society. I believe that people are less connected to one another and less involved to the point where the general functioning of our free society has been very much compromised. We don't have nearly as many strong physical communities where people are connected to one another in an area; we often lack a public space for ideas, experiences, resources and connections to be formed; we're overwhelmed and distracted by so much superfluous information that too often we don't involve ourselves in things that are directly important for us or our communties. As a result of our dysfunction, we're not taking care of the many issues that we are facting to the point that they have become insurmountable challenges.

What stands out for me was the Bush Adniminstration. This time period I think epitomizes the major societal issues that have led us to the pitfalls we are now dealing with and why I feel that we're really weak right now as a people. When I discuss my feelings with pretty much anyone who has some willingness to listen; most can agree that the way in which the War in Iraq was conducted and the trillion dollar tax reductions being put out simultaneously was atrocious. No other administration both put us into a huge war (at the very least conducted with very poor planning) and gave such an immense tax cut that predominantly went to the wealthy. The Bush Administration, in my view, showed an utter lack of care, humanity and connection to reality that dug us into an immense hole deeper than I think we've been in. It's not nearly as much about the ideology (though neo-conservative ideology can seem scary at points to me though I'm not well versed on it), it's more about how they went about things. The groupthink, the lack of percieved empathy, the disconnect from the realities of their action and the people they were leading. For the most part, I think it's becoming a fairly valid point that the Bush administration was awful.

I know that Cheney is not at all solely at fault for the problems we're facing now. I'm fed up with more then my share of Democrats and liberals. I bring this up as what I think epitomizes the nature / systemic problems of our society. We might not have been paying attention that much. I for one spent a lot of my 2000s in college playing Halo with my roommates and trying to get laid. If we were versed in issues we didn't care that much or think we could do that much about what was happening. Even when we were trying, we probably were often preaching to the choir or competing to barely be heard. This is my experience at least. I felt helpless these past 8 years but also wasn't trying that hard to participate meaningfully (I did donate $5 to a NY state rep, I never heard back from him when writing him a letter).

So a lot of this need to write comes from personal feelings of frustrations and my own experiences as I've been attempting to meaningfully enter the workforce and contribute to society. Mind you before I carry on I should have disclaimers. Most of my ideas are not mine. I'm citing Bowling Alone a lot by Robert Putnam in this entry and others. My experiences have been somewhat difficult as of recent, and this is a large part of why I'm writing. However, my problems absolutely pale in comparison to what most people in the U.S. are experiencing. Many personal attacks are somewhat geared to my own behavior and experiences and though I might say they reflect more segments of society then they actually do, this might not be true. I'll try not to swear. I'll get the links all set up and do some editing of sorts but I am fairly confident that the 4-5 people who are reading this will find a large slew of punctuation errors and words that are capitalized that shouldn't be.

I think this is important at a personal level (and I'm more than sure that there are enough blogs all ready exploring the recession and dysfunction of our nation, I'm guesssing that there is not a void) for me to get some ideas off my chest and to maybe at the very least feel I'm doing somewhat of a civic duty. Maybe at some point however, I'll rant or share an intereresting idea and someone will be moved by it (one of the four of you who might read this). Who knows. I do generally care about things going on. I've been angry a lot this past summer especially. I'd like if we came together more, if we did more to create a stronger and more humane society, and that together we addressed the many problems that we're being toppled by as a nation. Thanks.

Online Marketing
Add blog to our directory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature

Alright, so post number three. I'm trying to keep this up at the very least in the aims of monetizing it which would be such a blessing in so many different ways. As always, there is a quantity versus quality debate with the nagging question of can you have both? So I'm gonna try to bust out a post, negating the quality but aiming towards becoming more comfortable writing drivel that my two readers will read with a faint glimmer of monetization . Sorry, I've gotten to the point now where I say things and I don't even know if they're meant to be sarcastic. I mean, it would be sort of sell outey if I tried to make a profit of this maybe, but my moral fiber isn't that strong and money is somewhat tight right now and thats what things are about. I will also add that my blogs will often be negative, dark and stormy (like the drink). This if for me too. But I will try to be proactive and at least plagiarize solutions from others and call them my own to give a pos

Furthering Nature

I like to harp and attack but I thought it would be relatively mature to deposit some ideas to solving some of the things that I rant about. The series Lost I observed seemed to have  this trend where each new episode would open up all these new plot threads. My college roommates would continually watch, clinging and hoping for some type of closure to help alleviate  the suspense that the hit series had built up in them (I for one felt I was too weak willed to watch as I have an addictive personality). However, the show continued to open up more problems then it could reasonably solve and thus frustrated some viewers including some of my roommates. This might have no relation to anything that is going on, or it might mean everything. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'll try to offer some solvency to all the many problems I bring up as thats nice to do. Reading Collapse by Jared Diamond was similar to this. It left me wanting a stiff drink to alleviate my fear of an impen

How can we Function in Society if we Don't Know Where we are?

  "If you don't know where you are, that's probably because you don't belong here". My mother told me this was an old New England credo referring to visitors venturing forth through the Boston area . I could see this being true. Streets are curvaceous; signs are sparse or non-existent; there can be many one-way roads and rotaries all up in your grill. The Boston area is tough to get around and I think this causes more problems than we think and I think we could find a creative way for everything just to make a bit more sense navigationally speaking.   We have our MBTA system which can work despite it's massive deficit. However, any lateral movement is strikingly difficult as the subway only goes inbound or outbound. I can't begin to fathom taking the T  to Brookline, Allston or Dorchester as those coordinates are sideways to my current position, nor would I ever want to begin to set foot on the notorious B-section of the green line which is slower

Schooling: The Nature of Learning

Alright. Here is one of several pieces on education that I'd like to write about; just to get some ideas out. I want to start off by sharing a video that I worked really hard to find. Watch this video below and think about it for a bit. I first saw this clip from the controversial movie, Waiting for Superman . The movie, made some coherent points but did more to frustrate  many working in the field of education rather then be of help. Other things bothered me about the film, but it was this 20 second clip which destroyed it's legitimacy and perpetuated a view of teaching that I believe is obsolete and harmful. It was this clip, that relegated the film to the many other parties in education reform that talk a lot about what specifically needs to be done but don't have the experiences to know what they're talking about.  Others felt similarly about this clip. Our schools should absolutely be doing much more than having teachers "fill their student's hea

Was I Too Born to Run?

We're all Born for Things This was a brief conversational interlude that went on at Franklin Park as I was trying out my bare-foot jogging. This event weaves through some of the main ideas of this entry. "Doesn't that hurt running bare-foot?" "Yes m'am." "Why are you doing it than?" "I've heard it's good for my feet if I do it enough..." "Do you really think you'll be conscientious enough to keep this up, you don't seem like the type of individual that would." "You're probably right m'am." "I don't know why you're running that way than. It's silly if you ask me and you probably need some direction in your life." "Thank you mam." "You look a little foolish you realize and you're also going at the same pace as me because you're in so much pain and I'm just walking." "Thank you M'am, I just misplaced my sh