Skip to main content

The Wire



Alright so I've decided that I'd like to get up to 10 blog plosts at least. At this point I'm allowed to put my blog on some directory so more of yous get to visit my blog. Now I want to thank those who have put up with my drivel so far as there has been much of this. I'd especially like to thank all the hearty citizens from Russia that have come by. Perhaps I can write a blog about Putin, Kruschev or Vodka at some juncture and we can formulate a nice discussion. But thanks for viewing and apologies for the offensiveness and all the other shlock being thrown every which way like a monkey hurling their feces. I digress.

Writing five more entries seems like much work. As jowly a character that I am, I'm not always so much into putting effort into stuff. What I might do is that I'll have haiku's for each entries. Each entry will simply consist of a nice 17 syllable ensemble articulating things to talk about a lot. That'll be cheap and easy. Then you guys can come visit and more of you will come visit. You can click on my ad's that I'll have covering every single possible spot on the screen, and then I can start collecting and hoarding all the money which has been my intention from the beginning. Well, haiku rhymes with "hi poo"  which is fecal and I'm not in the mood for fecality today and thus will begin a new entry that will be too long for anyone's good.

Many folks (well just 1) have shown curiosity about the pictures I have at the top of each blog entry. These pictures are of course are from the hit show "The Wire" that was aired on HBO. This show was the best show that has ever been made and only a Nihilist could disagree. I'd thus like to write about it, offer some commentary, and talk about how this show influences most of the actions of my life in some way. Now, many bloggers have various writings about this show, so I'm really contributing nothing new to the on line discourse by having this entry. The show also ended in 2008 so you've probably moved on with your life by now. Mind you, I haven't moved on and I don't care about you, or your family, or your needs in terms of reading this. I'm going to provide my insights into this epic show which I hope to not sully too much in doing so.

I'm sorry, I do potentially care about you, and the family, and thanks for being here...

The show relates much to the writings of this blog as they're both about society. Lots of things can be about society, but the Wire is often about that and so is my blog. Thus there is a relevance in this entry. As I will conclude at the end of the entry, The Wire proves to be a historical, sociological and gastronomic masterpiece that provides an engaging array of historical fiction that can be used as an incredibly rich tool for learning in our cold, dark and boring world.

Everything is important when viewing this entity. The main focus, especially at season one is the the drug war that is carried out between the police and the drug dealers. The War on Drugs is the backdrop of the show and what the writers do intend to speak out against. The show might be seen as another "cop" show like NYPD blue or that Hill Street Blues show of the 80's, however, nothing can be further from the truth.

By episode four, you'll start to be introduced to a wide buffet of colorful and amazing characters. You'll start to crave the show, much like Bubs craves his heroin in such heroic form.  In essence the main character is the city of Baltimore. It's inhabitants and institutions make up it's various parts and personalities.

You'll meet the various police officers and gangsters that are often paralelled with one another. Mcnulty is paralleled to Stringer, Daniels to Avon I believe in season one. They do that for some literary reason that is too brilliant for me to understand. You'll meet Bubs, who though homeless and addicted to heroin is rich in personality, connections and is a very good person that the world continually dumps on. Then Omar will pop out of left field, always watching in the shadows, navigating the Urban environment patiently until the exact right moment when he can stick up a corner or stash house with a sawed off double barrelled shotgun, robbing gangsters and dealers of their cash, drugs and anything else valuable (while blowing out their knee cap wrathfully). Then as most of us know by now, he's not only one of the most badass characters in the show but also one of most homosexual. Well he's gay which they added on as an amazing twist and very nicely pull it off. The characters are all amazing which is amazing cause there are so many of them. Even minor characters leave their mark on your conscious through the series teaching us about something meaningful and insightful if we're willing to listen...

The show builds upon itself, exploring the various parts, workings and institutions that make this city (and many other major urban areas) function or not function. You're introduces to the port and the dock workers in season two led by union leader Frank Sobotka whose just so stressed by so many stressful things that the guy is crapping out ulcers the entire season. Season three adds the element of politics into the mix and you're introduced to Carcetti and his whorish ways. Season four looks at Urban Schools. You're introduced to four amazing young 8th graders struggling with the incredibly tough realities that the world hurls at them. The last seasons introduces us to the media and how it affects life in the city and how it is sustaining itself/ struggling as an instituion.

The writers meant it to be this way generally. With season three for example, the writers wanted to see how the politics affected the realities of inner city baltimore. How do the various well-intended, careless and self serving moves of mayors, city councillors, and their decions affect what goes on for the average citizen in Baltimore and the war on drugs? Season four (which might rip your heart out and demolish it with sadness after using it as an enema) focuses on how the major gangsters you meet got to be the way they are. How do the streets affect the kids growing up and coming of age in our Urban environment infused with poverty, drugs, and crime? Season five, looks at the forces of the media shaping the events of the city by putting the pressure on everyone else in power and often becoming the typical 21st century crappy media where people can say whatever they want and call it valid (much like I like to do... ha ha ha ha :-()  )

I might be getting this all wrong to by the way as I've watched some of the commentary on season five's disc but have failed to watch other season's commentary and have done myself nothing but an immense disservice by not giving the show enough of my complete and undivided time and attention.

What really makes The Wire even more astounding is that much of it is quite valid. Events in the show are based on events or people that the writers became familiar with in Baltimore. That being said, the writer Ed Burns was both a teacher and a cop in Baltimore and David Simon was a handsome journalist. They have an expertise of insight into these institutions and the others that The Wire looks at. As other publications have written about and I'm merely copying them in their ideas, The Wire is a lot of current history efficiently kneaded and twisted together into a fine German Pretzel. It's fiction, and there are definitely parts of it that are unrealistic but much of it is so incredibly realistic (I can verify some of this especially in season four with my dumb 20 years of life that I've had) that you can't do anything but learn an immense about important issues and questions and contract a hernia.

I'll come back to this later as I have to attend to some buisness (and yes sometimes I do have a semblance of some level of responsibility). Readers (which might merely be my boy K-dawg), share your thoughts on things if your so inclined to. Have you watched the Wire? What have you thought was so good about it? If you didn't like it, what flaws in your character allow for such a result to occur? If you could invite one of the characters over for a pot roast dinner, which character would you do that for?

Apologies again for the ridiculousness, please don't take my writings too seriously and thanks.

Comments

Dick Hatfield said…
I've already told you this, but you got Burns and Simon switched. Anyway, since you asked questions at the end of your blog post, I thought I'd answer them (and encourage the rest of your legion of readers to follow suit).

1. "Have you watched the Wire?" Uh...yeah. Of course. I already told you I did. Wtf?
2. "What have you thought was so good about it?" You mean besides everything? Nothing really.
3. "If you could invite one of the characters over for a pot roast dinner, which character would you do that for?" I want to say Omar, cause he's my favorite character, but I think I'd be scared of him walking into my house with a shotgun. I also like Lester a lot, but I'm not sure he'd be that entertaining. I think the only appropriate answer here is McNulty, cause you at least know you're going to have fun.

Well there you have it. Your very first blog comment. Also, I noticed that your most recent blog entry about writer's block has the comment section disabled. What the hell? I thought you fixed that. Oh well. Keep the hilarious (and erotically insightful) blog posts coming!
DefEnjoyment said…
I'll try my best dear friend, at least to enhance the eroticism. That's important!

Popular posts from this blog

Nature

Alright, so post number three. I'm trying to keep this up at the very least in the aims of monetizing it which would be such a blessing in so many different ways. As always, there is a quantity versus quality debate with the nagging question of can you have both? So I'm gonna try to bust out a post, negating the quality but aiming towards becoming more comfortable writing drivel that my two readers will read with a faint glimmer of monetization . Sorry, I've gotten to the point now where I say things and I don't even know if they're meant to be sarcastic. I mean, it would be sort of sell outey if I tried to make a profit of this maybe, but my moral fiber isn't that strong and money is somewhat tight right now and thats what things are about. I will also add that my blogs will often be negative, dark and stormy (like the drink). This if for me too. But I will try to be proactive and at least plagiarize solutions from others and call them my own to give a pos

Furthering Nature

I like to harp and attack but I thought it would be relatively mature to deposit some ideas to solving some of the things that I rant about. The series Lost I observed seemed to have  this trend where each new episode would open up all these new plot threads. My college roommates would continually watch, clinging and hoping for some type of closure to help alleviate  the suspense that the hit series had built up in them (I for one felt I was too weak willed to watch as I have an addictive personality). However, the show continued to open up more problems then it could reasonably solve and thus frustrated some viewers including some of my roommates. This might have no relation to anything that is going on, or it might mean everything. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'll try to offer some solvency to all the many problems I bring up as thats nice to do. Reading Collapse by Jared Diamond was similar to this. It left me wanting a stiff drink to alleviate my fear of an impen

How can we Function in Society if we Don't Know Where we are?

  "If you don't know where you are, that's probably because you don't belong here". My mother told me this was an old New England credo referring to visitors venturing forth through the Boston area . I could see this being true. Streets are curvaceous; signs are sparse or non-existent; there can be many one-way roads and rotaries all up in your grill. The Boston area is tough to get around and I think this causes more problems than we think and I think we could find a creative way for everything just to make a bit more sense navigationally speaking.   We have our MBTA system which can work despite it's massive deficit. However, any lateral movement is strikingly difficult as the subway only goes inbound or outbound. I can't begin to fathom taking the T  to Brookline, Allston or Dorchester as those coordinates are sideways to my current position, nor would I ever want to begin to set foot on the notorious B-section of the green line which is slower

Schooling: The Nature of Learning

Alright. Here is one of several pieces on education that I'd like to write about; just to get some ideas out. I want to start off by sharing a video that I worked really hard to find. Watch this video below and think about it for a bit. I first saw this clip from the controversial movie, Waiting for Superman . The movie, made some coherent points but did more to frustrate  many working in the field of education rather then be of help. Other things bothered me about the film, but it was this 20 second clip which destroyed it's legitimacy and perpetuated a view of teaching that I believe is obsolete and harmful. It was this clip, that relegated the film to the many other parties in education reform that talk a lot about what specifically needs to be done but don't have the experiences to know what they're talking about.  Others felt similarly about this clip. Our schools should absolutely be doing much more than having teachers "fill their student's hea

A Book About Snookie

Alright, I just wanted to air another set of grievance and lord knows I'm a being that can hurl grievances and maybe we should all be doing so as there is much to grieve about from a societal standpoint if you look at things with a grimace like  you should. TV sucks us all in, divides us all, erodes at our social bonds, makes us less fertile and surely will, and probably mostly has been the death of everything. But I'm especially pissed at it because of a show called American Dad . This show, a cartoon that appears on  Fox on the evenings of some day of the week, stems  from the series Family Guy and features an American Family (the father working for the government), his wife, son, daughter an alien and a fish. It's from the same writer as Family Guy, Seth McFergunson or something. Take a guess as to whether you would consider this to be quality programming This show is disgusting . I'm doing a poor job summarizing it but that's mainly because my ver